Week 3 of our recipe helps for Christmas eve .. best cookies to leave for Santa: iced cookies, but with a twist – instead of a basic sugar cookie, make it chocolate! We know Santa loves chocolate as much as we do.
Chocolate Cut-Out Cookies (Decorated)
350° oven, ungreased baking sheets, 6-8 minutes
- 4 bars (8 oz. box) semi-sweet baking chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2-2/3 C all purpose flour
- 1 t baking soda
- ½ t salt
- 6 T butter, softened
- 3 T granulated sugar
- ½ C light or dark corn syrup
- ¼ C water
- Decorator icing (colored icing in tubes work well), sugar sprinkles, and candy decorations of your choice.
- Microwave baking bars in medium-size bowl on high for 1 minute; stir. Microwave for additional 10 to 20 second intervals, stirring until smooth; cool to room temperature. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a second medium-size bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in small mixer bowl until creamy; beat in syrup and chocolate. Alternately beat in flour mixture and water. Divide and shape into 2 round discs; wrap in plastic wrap; chill just until firm.
- Roll each disc 10 1/4-inch thickness between sheets of waxed paper; cut with [cookie cutters (may we suggest something like this)]; place on ungreased baking sheets. Chill again if dough becomes too soft while you’re rolling and cutting.
- Bake for six to eight minutes or until set; let stand for two minutes before removing to wire racks to completely cool.
- Decorate with colored icing and candy sprinkles as desired.
C = Cup; T = Tablespoon; t = teaspoon
I don’t think I’ve ever been served a decorated chocolate cookie – and seeing how simple this recipe is, I really wonder why? Personally, I would flavor my icing – orange, raspberry, peppermint – or sprinkle the icing with crushed candy canes! Yeah, that would be great! If you decide to try this one, send us your results – and suggestions for personal flavor flair. Santa will love them any way you bake them. Oh – and how about serving them on an awesome Santa plates – it looks .. Scandinavian to me, don’t you agree? I think it will hold all three dozen cookies you’ve just baked.
You’ll call 1-800-445-3396, ext. 192, to order this platter – #335-333, $29.99.
Keep the yummy spirit of Christmas alive in the kitchen with us this holiday season! Back with another cookie recipe soon.
~Janet @ The Incredible Christmas Place
P.S. We’re approaching one of our busiest weekends here at the store – this Saturday, we have FOUR signing events – details to come – but we’re looking forward to seeing Ralph McDonald, Karen Didion, Anja from The Christmas Wish storybooks, and the creators of Ginger Cottages. Do you have plans for November 19th? We can help…